09 November 2011

A Home-sewn Christmas

Dear Lissy,
As you know, I love making home-sewn or baked gifts for Christmas.  This year I'm in tote bag mode: almost anyone can find a use for one more!  I toyed with the idea of plain canvas shopping totes, but settled instead on a book bag sized tote that could double as a purse in a pinch.  I found a simple pattern that would be easy to cut and sew "assembly line" style.
Esther's Tote from Ooh! Pretty Colors

I started with a trial tote.  I "needed" a fall tote/purse, and hadn't found what I was looking for at the right price.  This pattern is great technically, but is pretty boxy & plain to carry as a purse.  It was designed more to show off designer fabric than accessorize an outfit.  Nine pleats, two ribbon roses, and a couple of vintage buttons later, I came up with this:

Of course, I've already re-arranged the roses.  Twice.  And this isn't shiny leather, it's a pebbled suede.

I almost always line home-sewn bags with a saffron colored fabric so it's easy to find things quickly.

I'll pretty much copy this bag for your aunties and grammy, using decorator fabrics that fit their tastes. I cannot picture any of them carrying a bag with ribbon roses, so I'll have to either make the flowers easily removable or go to plan B for bling. 

For my nieces, I'll stick to the basic, unpleated bag, downsize it, and probably add ruffles or jumbo rick rack depending on the gal.  I'll have a lot of fun picking fabric for each of their personalities, too!

Your grandpa and uncles always appreciate home-baked goodies, although I may branch out into beef jerky or a nut mix this year.

Our extended family keeps Christmas simple and small.  I'm glad that our focus is on the birth of the Savior and precious time with family!  I really enjoy thinking about and praying for the person who will receive the gift as I prepare it.  I hope we still get Christmases together when you're reading this letter.  Who knows?  Maybe you'll get that groovy bag with the 2011 Pantone palette colors as a "vintage find".

Love ya bunches, Little One,
Momma







1 comment:

  1. The first two are the photo from the Ooh! Pretty colors blog. I'm not currently selling the totes (some pattern makers put legal restrictions on sales) but if I decide to, you're first on the list :)

    ReplyDelete