04 January 2013

Satan's Favorite Lie for God's Woman

Dear Lissy,

"I'm not good enough."  


And there you have it, Lovebug.  That thought is going to run through your head almost every day.  It may be because you're not married yet, or maybe you forgot to put gas in the car and you were late to church (on the night your husband was preaching), or maybe that little belly pooch from having a baby won't go away.  It doesn't matter what the reason is -- there doesn't even have to be a reason.  

A slight twist on this will mess with your relationships

"He/She/They don't think you're good enough, either."
  • "My parents always liked my brothers better than me."  (Definitely NOT true, just for the record.)
  • "My husband (or Mother-in-law) probably wishes he had married ________________." or
  • "No guy is ever going to want someone like me for a wife." 
  • "Her kids/house/cooking/homeschool program are so perfect she must think I'm just 3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket."  
  • "If I'd have my devotions more faithfully, or lose my temper less often, or witness more God would be a lot more pleased with me."
This lie hurts, and there are 2 knee-jerk reactions:
  1. Believe it.  This will send you to a very bad place.  Struggling to do more, be more.  Giving up -- or in.
  2. Deny it.  Another bad place, although it may feel better initially.  Heading for the world's wisemen who are filled with Satan's lie for his own:  "I'm a pretty good person."  Positive self-talk ensues.  Finding 1 or 2 or 10 positive self-talk gurus.  Jettisoning anyone from my heart and life who makes me "feel" bad about myself.
What is the Biblical reaction????

Recognize it as a half truth.    I am human.  I have flaws that make me utterly unloveable at times.   I sin.  I make mistakes.  All that is true.

Claim the whole truth.  
2 Cor. 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 

Eph 3:16-21  That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 

May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 
Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. 


Col 1:11  Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness

2 Cor 10:5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

The truth?  That weakness is where God's strength can shine through.  In every place I fall short as a wife, a mother, a friend I have the choice of allowing God to replace me.  

Gal 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 

I don't need to try harder.  I can't just give up.  I can and should ask Christ to replace my weakness, my "not enoughness" with His fullness.  

Only God can please God. 

Once your focus and passion becomes Him, and you no longer define yourself by what you think others think of you, you'll find they love and respect the Christ they see in you.  Your sweet confidence in your Savior is far more winsome and compelling than you'll ever know.

Satan will keep whispering that lie, because it's one of his most effective darts.  But as you learn to identify it as the half truth it really is, Christ will be glorified in you.

God is more than enough,
Momma

Linked up at A Holy Experience: New Habits  (my apologies the graphic is missing -- I got a 404 when I tried to find it)

1 comment:

  1. Such, such truth here - and truth that I need to hear over and over again. Thank you so, so much for sharing all of this!

    ReplyDelete