04 February 2011

Crustless Quiche

Dear Lissy,
Today was filled right to the brim.  I have just a few minutes before bed, so I've decided to send you the recipe for crustless quiche.   This has been a favorite of yours for a long time.   It makes a quick and easy Saturday brunch along with muffins and fresh fruit.  I use what I have on hand, so I've tried to include the most common variations.

Crustless Quiche
8 slices

Line a well-greased 9" pie plate with:
12 oz bacon, fried crisp or 8 oz shredded cooked ham or about 3/4 cup cooked veggies (spinach, mushrooms, broccoli...swiss chard is my favorite)  You can also mix meat and veggies.

4 oz. shredded cheese (Gruyere or the bags of pre-shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend both work well, but straight cheddar is too greasy.  I've even melted cream cheese and whisked it into the egg mix below in a pinch.)

Whisk together well, and pour over meat and cheese:
4 Eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion or 1 Tbsp. onion powder or 2 Tbsp of Knorr's Leek soup mix
1 tsp. salt (omit if using Knorr's)
1/2 cup flour, reduce to 1/3 cup if using whole wheat
1-1/2 cups light cream or 1 can of evaporated milk + 1 Tbsp melted butter

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.  Serve hot or room temperature.


My favorite is bacon, swiss chard, gruyere, Knorr's Leek soup mix, and the evaporated milk.
Dad likes broccoli and ham or chicken with the 4 cheese blend, Knorr's, and cream.
As children, none of you cared for veggies in this quiche.  If you're serving kids, bacon and cheese with onion powder is usually a safe choice.

May the Lord watch and keep you, my love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment