06 February 2011

Sometimes You Fall

Dear Lissy,

I have a good plan for Sundays.   

Clothes, crisp, hanging on the backs of your doors by Saturday night, ready for church on Sunday.  Shoes polished and set beneath.

A nourishing dinner in the oven by 8 a.m.  Fresh bread.  The once-a-week dessert carefully prepared and waiting in the fridge.

Junior church tote bag and special music set by the door before I go to bed on Saturday night.

The house tidy, waiting for Sunday afternoon fellowship.  The car vacuumed and re-stocked with a fresh trash bag, full gas tank, and Kleenex.

 I didn't do any of it.

I wasn't busy on a project, or spending quality time with you.
I wasn't helping a friend.
I even forgot the snack for the boys Sunday School Class.

I didn't do any of that, because I didn't "feel" like doing anything at all yesterday.


Instead of heading to a quiet place and praying out my ennui to my Savior who could have filled me with the power and motivation for maintaining the household rhythms, I frittered away my day, waiting to "feel" motivated.  Then I went to bed.

Part of wisdom is knowing and doing the next right thing...


I repented to the Lord, and apologized to your Dad that I had neglected my tasks.
I got up early, and ironed clothes.
I gathered my props for Junior church, and made the boys' class a bag of popcorn.
We had to get gas on the way home from church.
The car and house are feeling a little grungy around the edges today, and will stay that way until tomorrow.
I planned a quick, nourishing lunch which I put together after church.  I made up box brownies as soon as lunch was over (after all, we only have dessert once a week!)

We didn't skip church.
We didn't skip our family dinner.
We didn't go out to eat, and destroy a carefully planned budget.
I didn't try to make up my housework on a day God has set aside for rest and fellowship, even though that means I probably won't get to take Wednesday off this week from housework like I usually do.

Sometimes we fall.  






When you do, run to Jesus.  Humble yourself before those you've failed.  Correct what you can, and learn from what you can't.  Accept the consequences with grace.


Pr 24:16  For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again


In His unfailing love,
Mom



6 comments:

  1. this was a great post, that I really needed, thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post....loving the part about praying through the ennui. Today I prayed...and made myself a cup of coffee....and am about to get back to work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the promise of Proverbs 24:16~ though we do fall, by His grace, we always get back up again. Thank you for sharing this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely well said! I, too, at times, fail to do the necessary work, and then need to seek forgiveness and learn from these moments. Thankfully our Lord's mercies are new each morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m here from Ann’s I know it’s Saturday – but I’m playing catch up – there were so many “Thank you” posts to read I didn’t even start reading the Wednesday linky until today.

    First of all bonus points for “ennui”. I’ve only read you a few times. You are so clearly a good mom, and bride, and child of God. I’m glad I read you. And did you say “sometimes” we fall? {smile}

    Thank you for this today.

    God Bless and keep you and all of yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful idea, writing letters to your daughter. Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing spot to get drenched in goodness.

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete